I almost did not post this cake recipe tonight because I fear that it is too hot for many to turn their ovens on and by the time autumn rolls around, this cake will be long off your radars. Well, please BOOKMARK it, save it, take note because this is one of the yummiest cakes I have ever made.
I owe this cake experience to my pal Kathy who first gifted me almost 2 pounds of almond paste packed in perfect 8 oz .chunks and then typed out this entire recipe for me. You may want to keep an eye on her new blog, Stress Cake, because she is not only one of the best bakers I know but always tops things with a dollop of sass.
Almond Tea Cake
(from Tartine/Elisabeth Pruitt AND The Simple Art of Baking/Flo Braker TYPED out by my pal Kathy)
Makes one 10″ bundt cake, serves a bunch
sifted AP flour (sift then measure) – 3/4 cup/3.25oz
baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
kosher salt – 1/8 teaspoon
large eggs, room temp – 5
vanilla – 1 teaspoon
almond paste, room temp – 3/4 cup/7oz
sugar – 1 cup/7oz
unsalted butter, room temp – 1 cup/8oz
lemon zest – 1 teaspoon
orange zest – 1 teaspoon
lemon juice – 3 Tablespoons/1.5oz
orange juice – 3 Tablespoons/1.5oz
sugar – 3/4 cup/5.25oz
1. Oven 350F, rack in lower third; grease bundt/tube pan (recipe says to butter/flour but I just PAM it really good especially the bottom.)
2. Sift dry ingredients together twice
3. In a bowl combine eggs and vanilla – set aside
4. In mixer fitted w/paddle, beat almond paste on low until it breaks up
5. with mixer running, slowly add sugar and beat until incorporated
6. add room temp butter, 1 Tablespoon at a time
7. increase speed to med-high and beat until fluffy and incorporated
8. add eggs in a steady stream
9. removed from mixer and fold in zests with a spatula
10. fold in dry ingredients
11. fill pan and bake 45-50 minutes until golden brown and wooden skewer comes out with moist crumbs.
12. cool in pan 5 minutes.
13. Meanwhile, combine glaze ingredients (sugar, citrus juices) DO NOT HEAT
14. With a pastry brush, glaze cake while hot. Let cool completely.
15. Cake will keep for several days tightly wrapped.